Thursday, December 22, 2011

Replacing the Superlace cones

One other problem with the front Superlace hub, was that the original cones were cracked and of course without a donor hub it's impossible to get replacements. Thankfully for me, the low flange GT hubs have the same cones. But I difdnv't want to risk cracking those on removal so I figured the safest way to remove then was to cut them out.... how hard could it be???

Well it took a bit of butchering, but they came out in the end, but unfortunately the race hub will no longer race no more... call it a mercy kill.


The next step was to set them into the Superlace hub. I figured the process would be helped if I heated up the hub body and put the cones in the freezer. Simple thermodynamics... hot things expand, cold things shrink... All be it, ever so slightly but enough to get them in properly.

I also figured I could use one of the cracked cones to hammer the replacements in. So I grinded the old cone so that it wouldn't get stuck in the hub.

Then heated up the hub in boiling water and put the cones in iced water.


 Next it was just a case of hammering the new cones in place using the old cone.

Job done, just a grease up and rebuild...



For Sale
Slightly used GT race lace hub. Sold as seen ;-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

tfi you are a star. zombie_j

Anonymous said...

Does the gt coaster use suntour or shimano freecoaster? Thanks sheldon88

Killer V said...

I used the ACS Freecoaster for Shimano hubs. That fitted spot on, but I recall reading that the GT Coaster hubs were manufactured by Nankia.