Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Changing the rear hose

Well the few last bits arrive today so I got to work installing and routing the rear brake hose.

I already had the Avid Juicy Bleed kit so it was a case of draining the brake and removing the old cable. The kit had everything required including almost all tools.





First thing I attached the new hose to the rear caliper and fed cable through the modified frame cable guides.


Then it was a simple case of cutting the hose to the correct length at the lever and installing the connectors.


Then the bleeding could begin. First the hose, then the caliper and finally the lever.


I've only ever bled brakes once before so I'm no expert, but I took the bike out for a short 1 mile ride to see how it felt.

Let's just say, I'll be bleeding it again in the morning...

But the bike itself felt really nice, I just have to adjust the seat back a little.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have any pics of the caliper end of the hose? I have to lengthen a Juicy hose and need to know what hardware to get (i.e. bleed kit, plus barb, compression fitting and anything else). Did you reuse the banjo bits etc?

Thanks

Killer V said...

The caliper end of the hose is identical to the lever end, with the exception of the plastic cover at the lever end. The Bleed Kit contains everything you need to lengthen/shorten the hose (with the exception of a new hose of course)

The Kit contains:
o Avid DOT fluid
o 2 syringes
o 2 compression olives
o 2 hosebards
o 2 tools (Torx & wrench socket)
o Instructions

You can't reuse the old hosebarbs as the original ones are compressed into the hose. The kit one are screwed in with the torx wrench.

Killer V said...

I didn't have an imagine of the caliper end, other than the image already there with all rear brake dismantled.

But I added a photo of the Brake Kit contents.