Friday, August 8, 2008

Installing the Brake Therapy hub kit

The kit consists of:

  • The adapter
  • V-brake mount bolt
  • Bearing cone and spacers
  • Spacer
  • Lock nut
The first thing need is to modify the hub with the included Brake therapy hub kit.

My rear hub is a Shimano XT, and my Brake Therapy kit was order specifically for that hub.


With the wheel off, remove the rubber dust seal.


The remove the stock lock nut , spacer and bearing cone from the wheel.


This should have been a relatively simple task, but a word of warning.

REMOVE THE BRAKE DISK

My disk is a "saw" type, and without thinking when I loosened the lock nut I slipped and sliced up my finger pretty good.


Anyway after cleaning up the blood the lock nut came off without any further injuries.


Next remove the spacer and bearing cone.


Now the bearings are exposed. That's as far as the hub needs to be striped, not it's a rebuild with the Brake Therapy hub parts.


First install the new bearing cone.


This only needs to be finger tight, but it sits quite far into the hub so I had to use a flat headed screwdriver to install it fully.


Next the large spacer needs to be installed, again to finger tightness. And finally the lock nut is installed to keep everything in place.


That's it... The hub is ready to use again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did you purchase your conversion kit from?

Killer V said...

I'm in Sweden, and I couldn't find much options online, so I went straight to the source.

Simply emailed Brake Therapy about their kits, and got all my questions answered by Brian (who I believe is the owner, and really helpful guy).

Once it was time to order, it was just to phone him up and place my order.

Their contact details are here:
http://www.braketherapy.com/contact.htm