Saturday, July 26, 2008

First full polish


Well I gave the frame a first full polish mainly to see which areas of the bike need more work.

There are a few areas, such as the rear drop outs and a few minor areas which still have some of the original buff marks. But over all it's pretty good looking and that's just after using a rubbing compound on it and no heavy polishing.

Most of the parts I order are now well on there way and I found a place down town Stockholm that can build up the new rim on my old lefty hub. Not sure of ther turn around time, but as luck has it my vacation is postponed another week anyway.

3 comments:

Tanuki said...

What did you use to polish it?

Killer V said...

I stripped the paint using a chemical stripper.
The raw finish is quite rough in places, so I had to use a fine grade sandpaper to remove the markings.

After that it was just alot of buffing with Autosol, initially with an electric buffer then the final buffing by hand.

Anonymous said...

I bought a polished Killer V900 new in 1995 I think(???). I still haven't "rebuilt" it, just replace components as they wear out (disc brakes are next).
It's my only bike, I ride it regularly.

I use Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish, $5 or $6 US from Amazon or Ace Hardware. Don't know if you can get it, but it's great, the best polish for the Cannondale!

A small amount on a cloth, rub by hand, and ALL the tarnish comes off, leaving a beautiful, polished, shiny finish!

Good luck!