Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Wheel building

Having receive the "lost" package, I finally got the new wheels (ok one full wheel and a rim). I was going to have the front wheel built locally with an old Lefty hub I have. So I figured why not attempt to build the wheel myself and worst case I just have to leave it in to get built anyway. So the first thing was to build a make-shift truing stand to align the wheel. Which simply involve the bike upside down and a chair with a metal ruler on it. I thought the metal ruler might scratch the rim so I attached a plastic drinking straw to it!



So after alot of adjustment and re-adjustment (and re-re-adjustment) it finally looked pretty good.

The only problem... I laced the wheel with old spokes and nipples. The new spokes on the rear wheel are thicker 0.5mm thicker.

D'oh!

I'll order up some 2mm spokes for the wheel and just let a wheel builder do the job.

No comments: